Friday, July 26, 2019

A Teacup Pincushion

I was given a pretty little teacup by my friend, Sandy.  What to do with it. . .  What to do with it. . .
Then it hit me--a pincushion!

I chose some fabric from my scraps.  I wanted to match the pretty greenish-tealish color on the teacup but I didn't have that color in my scraps. So I went with one that I thought looked slightly old-fashioned.



I squished up some polyester fiberfill and stuffed it in the cup.  Then I added more and more, always squishing it down.  I kind of wrapped my fabric piece around the wad of fiberfill, and placed it in the cup.  My hot glue gun was all ready to go!

But it didn't seem to work very well.  So I hopped on over to Pinterest and searched for teacup pincushions, as I knew someone else had done this before!  And yes, thank you, Thoughts and Thimbles, for the tutorial.  Shannon (at Thoughts and Thimbles) told me to run a gathering stitch around the outside of my circle (of course--why didn't I think of that!?!), then stuff it full of fiberfill and draw the threads up to close it.  Oh, and my fabric circle was too small (just a little bit) so I cut another one.  Much better this time.  Shannon also told me how to add a button.  I probably wouldn't have thought of that, either!

I ran a bead of hot glue around the inside of the teacup rim, then placed my wadded up fabric "ball" inside.



Et voila!!  My pretty little teacup pincushion.


No comments:

Post a Comment