Here's a little landscape that I made several months ago in a class. We drew our scene, then made templates out of plastic which can be ironed over. It was a good way to get some nice, smooth curves.
All the pieces were sewn onto the background muslin by hand. I'm not sure why this took me so long to get around to quilting. And it took me forever, and a lot of experimenting, to decide how I was going to quilt it. The whole thing is only about 5" by 8" big! It shouldn't have been this difficult!
I have to admit that I'm still not done, though. I'm going to try mounting it on an artists' canvas, just because I've never done that before.
I used this zig-zag method for binding the tiny little thing--that was new for me, too. I think it looks kind of nice; I used a green variegated thread for that.
I'll keep you posted on the next step!