I recently found a great idea on This Little Project for a button/unbutton toddler toy, so I decided to make one for BabyStitches. It was quite simple to make and fun, too!
I chose a neutral piece of flannel for the background, then cut several green stems of varying heights. I just freehand cut them, didn't worry too much about getting them exactly a uniform width. Then I cut a few leaves out of a couple different colors of green. I used a double strand of embroidery floss to sew the stems and leaves to the background, with a long straight stitch.
It was fun cutting the flowers freehand also. And easy to use a small embroidery scissors to cut a tiny slit in the center of each one.
Note: It's a good idea to use all similar sized buttons, so that the flowers are all easily interchangeable. I didn't do that at first, and ended up replacing my small buttons with slightly larger ones.
On the back of the "flower picture" I attached a length of ribbon, with just a little box and "x" to secure it in about the middle of the ribbon length.