Tuesday, July 17, 2018

In a previous post (here) I showed you some of my handwork preparations for a road trip.  Then as it turned out, the road trip didn't happen, but it's always good to have some hand work ready to go.

I showed you the applique pattern I was using and preparing for.


The pattern for placement of the stem, petals, and leaf. 

Here is a portion of one of the blocks, edges turned under and pinned in place, all ready to go, except for the green circle in the flower center.


And this is where I stored those fabric squares!  An unused pizza box, courtesy of TwoFish Baking Company, a local bakery and pizza shop (on Friday nights).  You've heard me talk about TwoFish Bakery before, because I periodically sew aprons for them to wear.


I didn't want the fabric squares to shift around inside the box, so I took some small batting pieces and used long stitches to attach the batting to the bottom of the pizza box.  


Here are all the squares lying nicely inside the pizza box, staying put with no shifting about!


I also needed a way to transport my sewing implements, so I used this little metal box.  I honestly can't remember what came inside this box, and the label is not helpful!  It could have been tea, or it could have been cookies, I'm just not sure.


This is an inside view of the implement box, with threads, pins and needles, thread snipper, and needle threader.  I've chosen nice, fine threads for the applique.  Some (like the yellow and red spools) are Masterpiece and Bottom Line (from Superior threads), and some (like the skinnier spools) are ultra-fine Invisifil threads.  I really like sewing with very fine threads, especially for applique work.  I'm really not quite sure why that wine cork is in the box--who knows!


Here is a close-up of a sewn flower, still waiting for its green center!


Here is a finished block.  This batik fabric has a few different prints, all of the same colors.  The other half of the pieced blocks are various yellow fabrics that I had in my stash.



No comments:

Post a Comment