Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Red Square Challenge


The theme for my quilt guild's challenge show this fall is "One Red Square."  The quilt can be anything, but it has to include one red square.  It cannot contain two or more red squares.  My little brain has been flooded with ideas for ways to use One Red Square in a quilt.  Here is one idea I had.  A red square in  the center, then another shifting square around it, then another shifting square around that, etc, etc.  I drew it out and used crayons to experiment with color possibilities. 




I used graph paper to make the squares, and cut them out to place them one on top of each other.  When I had it like I wanted, I took it to a copy shop and had it enlarged so that it's 30 inches square.




The large copy was perfect for tracing pattern pieces onto freezer paper.  I was then able to iron the pattern piece to the fabric, and measure and cut 1/4" around all four sides.  I found some really vibrant batik fabrics to use for the surrounding squares.





This is what it looked like (from the back side) when it was almost all sewn together.



 Now I'm wondering what kind of border to put on it.  Black?  Matching pink?  Another color?  No border?



And also, what to do for quilting?  I'm thinking maybe one big spiral starting in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment