Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fairy Costume, Completed!

Hooray! I'm finished with the fairy costume for BabyStitches! Doesn't she look cute?!?
Now I'll show you some detail photos of this project.

There are eight petals that each have a pleat in the center, and are stitched around the waistband of the skirt.

The pattern said to use grommets for lacing up the sash in the back. But I didn't have any, so I just sewed some really small buttonholes, and that worked just fine!

The wings were really something to sew! Between the two layers of sheer fabric are two layers of stiff crinoline. In retrospect, I would have used a different method to achieve this, but the pattern said to sew the fabric right sides together, with the crinoline sewn in there as a lining. Now, I want you to look at that shape above and think about having to turn that sucker inside out when most of it is stiff crinoline!
Yes, if I were doing it again, I'd turn under the raw edges of the sheer fabric, and then sew them wrong sides together, with the crinoline inside. That way I wouldn't have to turn it inside out.

After the wings were together, I had to mark the fabric (with removable pen) on the lines they had given me,
then arrange chenille stems on those lines (overlapping when needed),
and then zig-zag them down with invisible mono-filament thread.
Except that the invisible thread is kind of a pain to sew with,
and broke way too often,
I think the wings turned out pretty well.
They attach to the back of the dress with eight-inch-long velcro strips.

When BabyStitches tried on the costume, she kept turning in circles, trying to get to her wings! What a sweetheart she is!


Even though I complained about the fabrics and the pattern a lot, I really loved sewing this for her. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have mastered the crinoline challenge! What a little doll! Are those chenille stems really just pipe cleaners on steroids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's a good description of chenille stems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darn CUTE!!!! You did an excellent job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Harmony! I'm so glad that I can contribute in this way.

    ReplyDelete