Saturday, March 28, 2020

"Un Paper" Towels

Let me first of all say that this project has nothing to do with the Coronavirus.  It is something that I'd been seeing on Pinterest, and decided to try.  It is, of course, very timely, given the state of the world and paper products.

 I ordered some white flour sack towels from Amazon.  I cut them into smaller sizes and zig-zagged the hems where needed.  You can just barely see the yellow zig-zag stitches in the photo below.






Also, according to Pinterest, I should have a cute little basket, or bin, or fabric basket to keep these in on my counter.  We're not there yet!  For now they are in a stack!






Some of the Pinterest ideas say to back the towels with flannel, as I've done in the photo below.  Some said to back the cloths with terry.  I tried one like that, and it was a bit too thick for my taste.





Some of the towels are two layers (like the one below), and some are just one layer.  The size is approximately 12" square.  I have to tell you, MisterStitches likes these towels A Lot.  I like them a lot, too.  I think we both prefer the simple one-layer towels.

I bought quite a few of these (!) and I'm not finished cutting and zig-zagging edges yet!





And then, of course, I needed a place to put the used towels.  So I came to another project:



Hanging Bag For Used Towels.


I found a nice tutorial at this website.
https://diydanielle.com/how-make-kitchen-wet-bag/

But I didn't follow it exactly.  I used it as a sort of jumping off place to make my own "laundry bag."




Danielle used oil cloth to line her bag, but I didn't have any of that, and I didn't really want to bother with it anyway.  (If they are too wet, I hang them over the other oven handle till they're dry.)  So mine is just two thicknesses of the solid blue, attached to the two layers of the blue print.



You can almost see here the velcro strip across the back to hold the bag on the oven door.




Here is the bag almost full of used towels.  Time to do laundry!



No comments:

Post a Comment