Saturday, April 25, 2020

Quarantine Clothes Hangers

I guess we all have some time on our hands, with this Coronavirus quarantine going on.  One of the things I do when I have some spare time is browse through my Pinterest files.  In my "For The Home" category, I have this item as a way to use up fabric scraps.  The directions are here.  Very simple, really.

I used some of the (boxes full of) trimmed selvage strips that I have kept.  (I did throw away some, though.  I mean, why did I even bother to save a strip that is about 1/4 in wide?!?)


Corrie's directions (in the link) said to use plastic hangers without hooks on them.  All of my plastic hangers have hooks on them.  So I just kind of worked my way around the hooks.  Yes, they don't look quite as nice as the hangers without hooks, but they're ok with me.


I decided to try it with wire hangers, too.  The only difference is that since it's a smaller diameter, I needed to wrap more times around.  But I have lots and lots of selvage strips, so I don't see myself running out any time soon!




Corrie said to tie a bow when you get back to the top, so I started leaving a good size tail at the beginning, too.  She also said to secure the fabric at the beginning, and at the joins with either masking tape or a hot glue gun.  I started out using masking tape, but the second day I used the hot glue gun, as I thought that would make it "cleaner."  Wish I had my low temperature glue gun, as I got quite a bit of it on my fingers!  No bad burns, though.


Do you ever do this with your wire hangers?  I sometimes bend the "arms" down for a particular blouse or top.  That way I don't get "dimples" on the shoulders.




I got quite a few of them finished.  With this quarantine, the whole house may become wrapped in fabric strips!  Maybe even the wooden hangers?!?


Did I mention that this makes a good activity to do while watching a favorite movie?


No comments:

Post a Comment