Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Beautiful Things Came in the Mail!

I had a very pleasant trip to the Post Office to get my mail the other day. Two very nice packages. The first was the quilt shown above, which my SisterStitches sent to me. I couldn't believe it when I opened this package. My poor photo doesn't do it justice--this is an absolutely beautiful quilt. The goldfinch is the state bird of Iowa, my home state, so she chose goldfinch fabric. The borders are various green fabrics sewn together, with a little "shades-of-green" log cabin in each corner. I was overwhelmed by this quilt (still am!).
(I didn't measure it, but I think it's about 36" x 36".)

The quilting is just amazing. First SisterStitches outlined each goldfinch, then did the awesome McTavishing between all the birds.

This shows the beautiful leaves quilted into the borders of the quilt.

Another, even closer view of the McTavishing.

I think I have the best sister ever, to make this wonderful quilt for me.

+ + + + + + + + +


The other package contained this book that I had ordered, Jane Austen's Sewing Box by Jennifer Forest. It talks about many of the sewing projects that are mentioned in Austen's books, with beautiful illustrations, and directions for making the projects. I'll let you know when I've made something from this book!

3 comments: