Saturday, June 29, 2013

Free Motion Practice

I have seen examples of this type of thing done before, and the last time I saw it I said to myself, "I am just going to go ahead and do this.  Why not!?"

It is a medium for practicing free motion quilting designs.  Why this particular "gizmo" is really good is because I can lay it on my quilt top and get an idea of how a particular design will look on the quilt top.


So I went to the hardware store and bought about a half yard of this clear plastic.  It was with all the vinyl tablecloth "fabric" that they cut by the yard.


I cut my square of plastic/vinyl about 20" by 20."  (They were a little generous with the half-yard measurement!)


The next step was simply to put my artists tape around the edge of it.  Now I can draw with my dry erase markers on this over and over, erasing each time with a small scrap of batting.  


The reason for the tape on the edge is so that, when I place this over my quilt top to audition a quilting design, I don't accidentally go over the edge and onto my quilt.  That would Not. Be. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment