Here is a second fabric basket/bowl that I made recently (see earlier post here). This time I made it with all of my selvage trimmings from fabrics I've used. (Never did know quite why I was saving all those, but now I have a use for them!)
It was a lot of fun to make this basket, because the fabric strips were just chosen randomly, no color planning went into it at all.
Usually, strips a little wider, say 3/4" are best to make these baskets. And since I am fairly stingy when it comes to cutting off my selvages, many of my strips were more like 1/2". But that only meant that I had to use a few more strips.
Here is a close-up that shows some of the printing and the "color dots" that appear on the selvage.
And here's another close-up. You can see letters quite clearly here.
Now, this clothesline is available for purchase in a few different sizes. It ranges from about-enough-for-a-basket-with-some-left-over to GREAT-BIG-LONG.
And the clothesline doesn't come in a nice, easy skein (as in yarn). It's just a big loop, and that can get fairly hard to handle at times. After sorting out this 200-foot mess a couple times, I knew that I had to do something about it.
Thank goodness the FedEx man had just left a package that day, and I used the box to make a sort of spool on which to wind my clothesline. It's nothing fancy, but it works pretty well. At least it's not some long snake of a thing getting all wound around itself.
I can't wait to make more baskets now! I'd like to try something in an oval shape.