Thursday, April 9, 2009

Landscape quilt

I took a class at Asilomar (Pacific Grove, California) in February with Judith Baker-Montano, who is  (to say the least) well known in the crazy quilting world.  The class was called "Crazy Quilted Landscapes."  We class members took in a photo(s) of someplace dear to us, and Judith helped us transform those photos into a crazy quilted landscape.  I wish I could show you the original photo, but it was taken with another camera.    Anyway, this is the quilt I made from a photo of  a small piece of the Sonoma County, California coastline.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  Judith is a wonderful teacher (as well as fun); it was a joy to be in her class.  If any of you are ever in California from February through September check out www.emptyspoolsseminars.com.  These are 6-day long classes held in the beautiful setting of Pacific Grove, California.  It is an all-inclusive thing, and is really wonderful.  I highly recommend it.

7 comments:

  1. This is amazing, I thought I was looking at a photo at first!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was fun to do, and I'm happy with the way it turned out.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. MissesStitches this is great! I've been so curious about seeing your landscape quilt and find it fascinating! Thank you for sharing this and for your creativity which never stops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    Thanks for the compliment! I'd love to know who you are......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to do one of these, but I don't sew. I am sooooo tempted. Do you glue it on first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sewed down the pieces onto my landscape quilt. You could try it with fusible webbing. That would be an idea. A lot of my details, though, come from my hand-stitching after everything was put together. Does this help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete