Friday, September 18, 2009

Wonky House Quilt Block

I call this my "Wonky (yes, that's a technical term) House" square. I made it for a President's Quilt. Each president of our Guild gets to choose a special/favorite block. Then as many members as choose to, make her one or more blocks to the specifications. Some people choose a specific pattern and request certain colors. Some people choose a specific fabric. Some people only give suggestions! This square is for my friend Barbara. She simply gave us a good-sized swatch of fabric and said to do whatever we wanted, as long as it finished 11 1/2 inches square. She offered rust-colored fabric and bright blue fabric. I chose the rust-colored, but had no idea what to do with it. Thought I might do a crazy square. But if she decided to use this quilt, and not just hang it, a crazy patch isn't usually very washable.

But I remembered this "wonky house" that I'd seen in Quiltmaker Magazine (#126, March/April 09). I used the rust fabric for the house. It's a fun square to make, because there is no pattern! You just cut strips and make it all up as you go. I think I'd like to make a whole quilt like this.

After I had the house/grass/sky section made, I wanted to use some more of the rust fabric. So I decided to add some fall foliage trees next to the house. I had this great wood-grained fabric, and just put together some of the smaller rust pieces with some green ones for the tree's leaves. I added a watering can button for the flowers, another button for the doorknob, and some embroidered smoke coming out of the wonky chimney. The last step was to embroider my name on the square.

Not sure if Quiltmaker has this pattern available online, but if you're interested, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sis! This is a great little house block and if you like this technique you have to look into the Buggy Barn patterns. The little witches quilt that I showed on my site a few weeks ago is one of theirs, and it is definitely on the wonky side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, SisterStitches! This really was a lot of fun to make--it was almost like crazy quilt piecing, with no measuring or cutting of pattern pieces. I will check out Buggy Barn patterns. Anyone else reading this, check out Pam's blog (on my sidebar), the Frayed Edge. http://emmalinedesign.blogspot.com/2009/08/witches-are-flying.html

    ReplyDelete