Sunday, June 28, 2009

Heavy Lifting

Confession: I have always been fascinated by big machinery. When I was younger, the first vehicle I learned to drive was a tractor (natural, as we lived on a farm). I love watching road construction, building construction (and destruction), and earth moving machinery. So, when Harmony and I were hanging the Paper (n)Or Plastic art show (see earlier posts), and wanted to hang some of the shopping bags from the ceiling with fishing line, we needed to use the scissors lift. This photo shows me, operating the scissors lift, with Scott Chieffo (at the Gualala Arts Center) supervising. Poor Scott; he was very patient with me, as I jerkily drove the thing around the gallery, bouncing us up and down as I lifted us up to the ceiling. I have to say, it was absolutely amazing! I loved operating the controls, going up and down, driving it around. So much fun, and I am indebted to Scott for letting me do this. Now I'm ready to move on to a forklift.....

6 comments:

  1. Me too! I love the show Modern Marvels ;) I'm not great at OPERATING machinery though.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with the show Modern Marvels--what is it? I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was, Annette! Can't wait till I get to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was there...Jan was amazing! No fear! She is a natural. For the take down, she handled the foyer where the ceiling is REALLY tall. I happily watched from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Harmony! It was fun, wasn't it. I hope I didn't make you too nervous! There's definitely a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete